Here’s the deal: When I eat crab cakes – which are typically fairly pricey – I want them to taste like CRAB, not filler. That’s what this crab cake recipe is all about.
The secret to great crab cakes is to use the best crab you can find. I normally use lump blue-crab meat. You can enjoy them plain or with something like avocado salsa (pictured here).
- 8 oz. crab meat (preferably lump crab meat or claws)
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 ts. Tabasco sauce (or other hot sauce, such as Louisiana Hot Sauce)
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh chives
- 3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs (made from about 1 1/2 slices of bread)
- 3 Tbsp peanut oil (canola or vegetable oil also works)
- Combine all the ingredients except the bread crumbs and peanut oil in a mixing bowl. Mix together lightly. One key to making great crab cakes is to not overwork the mixture.
- Next, add the bread crumbs and mix lightly, until thoroughly incorporated. Again, handle the crab cake mixture gently.
- Form the crab mixture into four patties, each about 1 inch thick. Handle the mixture gently; the crab patties should just barely hold together. It helps to dampen your hands with water when handling the patties.
- Heat peanut oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, but not smoking, gently place the crab patties in the pan. Saute the crab cakes until they are golden brown on both sides — about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Serve the crab cakes as is or with avocado salsa, as shown here.
FOR MORE RESTAURANT REVIEWS GO HERE.
THIS CONTENT IS FROM UTAH BITES NEWSLETTER.
CLICK HERE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RESTAURANT REVIEWS, TED’S FAVORITE RECIPE, AND DRINK OF THE WEEK.
Originally trained as an anthropologist, Ted Scheffler is a seasoned food, wine & travel writer based in Utah. He loves cooking, skiing, and spends an inordinate amount of time tending to his ever-growing herd of guitars and amplifiers.
SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS: click on their logos to visit their website
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating 5 / 5. Vote count: 4