We eat a lot of tofu dishes at our house. Tofu is so versatile, a great low-fat source of protein, and takes almost no time to cook. This crispy tofu recipe is so tasty that your kids will even love it.
- 1 package extra firm tofu (14 oz.)
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- ¼ cup lower-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2 tsp. Honey
- 1 ½ tsp. chili garlic sauce
- ½ tsp. rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1-2 scallions, minced
- Remove the tofu block from its packaging and place on paper towels. Allow the tofu to drain and dry out a bit on the towels – about 20 minutes. Then cut the tofu into bite size cubes and place them in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle 2 Tbsp cornstarch on top of the tofu cubes and gently toss with your hands to ensure all tofu pieces are covered.
- Heat a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. When the wok or skillet is hot, add the sesame oil.
- Add the tofu and brown on all sides, stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime, whisk together the soy sauce, water, honey, chili garlic sauce, rice wine vinegar and 2 tsp. cornstarch to make a sauce.
- Once the tofu is browned and crispy, add the sauce, which should thicken quickly. Toss the tofu in the sauce and remove from the heat.
- Garnish with the toasted sesame seeds and minced scallions and enjoy!
FOR MORE RESTAURANT REVIEWS GO HERE.
THIS CONTENT IS FROM UTAH BITES NEWSLETTER.
CLICK HERE AND RECEIVE WEEKLY RESTAURANT REVIEWS, TED’S FAVORITE RECIPE, AND DRINK OF THE WEEK.
Originally trained as an anthropologist, Ted Scheffler is a seasoned food, wine & travel writer based in Utah. He loves cooking, skiing, and spends an inordinate amount of time tending to his ever-growing herd of guitars and amplifiers.
SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS: click on their logos to visit their website