That’s what they use at pizzerias like Settebello. But, with the lower temperatures of a home oven (versus a high-temp wood-fired oven) I prefer to use a 50/50 mix of good, unbleached, all-purpose flour combined with ’00’ flour, in equal portions. It pays when baking to weigh your ingredients, and it’s no different with pizza dough. So, invest in a digital kitchen scale for measuring out dry ingredients such as flour for pizza.
150 grams all-purpose, unbleached flour, such as King Arthur
150 grams ’00’ four, such as Caputo’s from Italy – available in specialty food and gourmet markets or online
3/4 tsp. active dry yeast
1 tsp. Fine sea salt
1 tsp. olive oil
3/4 to 1 cup warm water
- Place all of the ingredients except the water into the bowl of a large stand mixer such as a KitchenAid with a dough hook. (You could also mix the dough by hand in a large bowl.)
- Set the mixer on low and mix the ingredients together, slowly drizzling in the water while the mixer is running. The process will take around 3 to 5 minutes. You’re aiming for dough that is moist, but not too wet and sticky. Keep adding water, a little at a time, until the dough pulls away from the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl in one piece. If the dough is too wet, add more flour a tablespoon at a time. If it’s too dry, add a little more water.
- Once the dough has formed into one piece, allow it to rest in the bowl for 15 minutes.
- Next, knead the dough by hand for 3-4 minutes, until it’s relatively smooth and pliant.
- Form the pizza dough into a ball and place into a large lightly oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap or a damp towel and allow the dough to rise for 4 to 6 hours at room temperature.
- To make the pizza, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and either cut it in half for 2 pizzas or roll it out and stretch it for one pizza.
- Roll out the pizza dough to your desired thickness and turn the rolled out pizza dough onto a pizza paddle sprinkled with corn meal (or just use a piece of thick, sturdy cardboard). The corn meal will help the pizza slide into the oven without sticking.
- Place your favorite sauce and toppings on the pizza dough and cook on a pizza stone at a minimum of 550 degrees F. in your oven or on the grill.