1 lb. linguine or other dried pasta
3 Tbsp olive oil
2-3 oz Spanish chorizo, thinly sliced or diced
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 shallot or 3 scallions (white and light green parts), minced
1 cup white wine
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 tsp crushed red chili flakes
12 Littleneck clams, scrubbed and cleaned
12 black mussels, debearded and cleaned
3/4 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
Freshly ground black pepper
3 Tbsp minced Italian parsley
2 Tbsp butter, softened at room temperature
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the linguine to just al dente. When the pasta is finished, drain and return to the pot along with the butter, parsley, salt and pepper, to taste.
- In another large pan or skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chorizo and cook for a few minutes until the chorizo sizzles a bit and browns a little.
- Add the chili flakes, garlic and shallot or scallions to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes, until softened.
- Pour the wine into the pan and simmer until reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
- Add the clams and mussels to the pan along with the broth. Bring back to a simmer and cover. Cook for 3-5 minutes, until the shells begin to open.
- Add the shrimp to the pan and give them a stir. Cover and continue cooking until the shrimp are cooked through, but not tough, and the mussels and clams have opened – about 3-4 minutes longer. Throw away any clams or mussels with closed shells.
- Stir the chorizo and seafood mixture into the pot with the cooked linguine. Toss well and serve.