Here is a really simple recipe for a delicious arugula salad with avocado. It takes just minutes to make and can serve as a main course or side salad. Don’t worry too much about exact measurements. As with most salads, you can increase or decrease the amounts of your favorite ingredients as you wish, and also experiment with other ingredients not listed such as adding cheese, chicken, shrimp, etc.
- A big bunch of arugula, 4-6 cups, rinsed and dried
- A couple of glugs of extra-virgin olive oil – approx. 1-2 Tbsp
- One glug of wine vinegar (I like to use Champagne vinegar) — approx. 1/2 Tbsp
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 3 Tbsp pine nuts (I like to toast them briefly in a dry skillet before using; it intensifies the flavor of the nuts.)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 avocado – peeled, pitted and sliced
- Place the arugula in a large bowl. Drizzle the olive oil and vinegar over the arugula and toss. You just want to very lightly coat the delicate leaves, not soak them.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste, and toss.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except the avocado and toss well.
- Serve the salad on plates, garnished with the sliced avocado. If you add the avocado to the salad while tossing it, it gets mushy.
FOR MORE RESTAURANT REVIEWS GO HERE.
THIS CONTENT IS FROM UTAH BITES NEWSLETTER.
Subscribe to get the latest Utah Bites news and reviews
Originally trained as an anthropologist, Ted Scheffler is a seasoned food, wine & travel writer based in Utah. He loves cooking, skiing, and spends an inordinate amount of time tending to his ever-growing herd of guitars and amplifiers.