Here is a simple recipe for a tasty snack to nibble on: oven-roasted chickpeas with za’atar. Za’atar is a traditional Middle Eastern seasoning blend usually made with oregano, thyme, sumac, marjoram, toasted sesame seeds and salt. You can find it in most supermarkets.
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained if using canned ones
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp za’atar seasoning
- ½ tsp. Kosher salt
- Spread the chickpeas on paper towels in a single layer. Gently pat dry, then let air dry for about an hour.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a heavy rimmed sheet pan with parchment paper, and spread chickpeas evenly on the pan. Bake in the center of the oven until crunchy, about 30 minutes, stirring and rotating every 10 minutes.
- Place hot chickpeas in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil, za’atar and salt, let cool a bit and serve.