This simple recipe is an adaptation of one of Food & Wine’s most popular recipes – one of their 40 Best. Caramelized chicken melds with Vietnamese flavors in this delicious, sweet & spicy dish that cooks in a mere matter of minutes.
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup nam pla (fish sauce)
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- 5-6 fresh Thai chilies, minced
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs or breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, fish sauce, water, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger, black pepper, and chilies.
- Heat the oil in a large deep skillet or wok. Add the shallot and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add the fish sauce mixture and the chicken and simmer over high heat until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Serve with steamed jasmine rice.
FOR MORE RESTAURANT REVIEWS GO HERE.
THIS CONTENT IS FROM UTAH BITES NEWSLETTER.
Subscribe to get the latest Utah Bites news and reviews
Originally trained as an anthropologist, Ted Scheffler is a seasoned food, wine & travel writer based in Utah. He loves cooking, skiing, and spends an inordinate amount of time tending to his ever-growing herd of guitars and amplifiers.
SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS: click on their logos to visit their website