Butter chicken is a very popular Indian curry dish that is also called murgh makhani. The chicken is smothered in a creamy curry sauce made with vindaloo spice mix, which can be purchased at stores and online such as at Penzeys Spices. This recipe is largely based on one shared by Andrew Zimmern in Food & Wine. You’ll want to get a head start as the chicken needs to marinate overnight.
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vindaloo spice
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1 stick salted butter
- 2 large yellow onions, finely chopped
- Kosher salt
- One 15-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 2/3 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup roasted cashews, chopped for garnish
- In a large bowl, mix together the lemon juice, vindaloo spice and yogurt.
- Add the chicken thighs to the bowl and turn to coat well. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Melt the butter over medium heat In a large dutch oven – preferably an enameled cast-iron casserole. Add the onions and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the onions are golden brown, stirring occasionally, 10-13 minutes.
- Add the chicken and any leftover marinade to the pot along with the crushed tomatoes and chicken stock. Stir well and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened slightly, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and simmer until the sauce is flavorful and the chicken is cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes longer. Season with additional salt and pepper, if needed, garnish with chopped cashews, and serve with basmati rice
FOR MORE RESTAURANT REVIEWS GO HERE.
THIS CONTENT IS FROM UTAH BITES NEWSLETTER.
Subscribe to get the latest Utah Bites news and reviews
Originally trained as an anthropologist, Ted Scheffler is a seasoned food, wine & travel writer based in Utah. He loves cooking, skiing, and spends an inordinate amount of time tending to his ever-growing herd of guitars and amplifiers.