I love potato chips. Unfortunately, most commercial chips are too salty and don’t really taste like … you know … POTATOES. On the last day of the ski season at Deer Valley Resort I had lunch at Empire Lodge and enjoyed the made-from-scratch potato chips that they make. Quite simply, they were the best potato chips I’ve ever eaten. So I did a little research and the secret to those amazing chips is to fry them at a lower temperature than you might expect. I gave it a try at home and the results were really good!
- Idaho Russet potatoes (as many as you’d like)
- ½ cup distilled white vinegar
- Peanut or vegetable oil for frying
- Sea salt
1. Scrub the unpeeled potatoes to get rid of dirt and blemishes.
2. Using a mandoline or tool like a V-Slicer, slice the potatoes as thin as possible.
3. As you slice the spuds, place the potato slices into a large bowl filled with cold water and the ½ cup of vinegar. Let the slices sit in the water for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
4. Drain the potato slices and pat dry with a cloth kitchen towel.
5. Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large heavy pot to 310 degrees F.
6. Working on batches so as not to overcrowd the fryer, carefully drop the potato slices into the hot oil and cook, turning occasionally, until golden brown and crisp – about 5 or 6 minutes.
7. Drain the potato chips onto paper grocery bags or paper towels and toss lightly with salt.
8. Once cooled, the potato chips can be kept for days at room temperature in a sealed bag or container.
FOR RESTAURANT REVIEWS GO HERE
THIS CONTENT IS FROM UTAH BITES NEWSLETTER.
GET OUR WEEKLY RESTAURANT REVIEWS, TED’S FAVORITE RECIPE AND DRINK OF THE WEEK DIRECTLY TO YOUR INBOX. TO SIGN UP FOR FREE GO HERE.
Originally trained as an anthropologist, Ted Scheffler is a seasoned food, wine & travel writer based in Utah. He loves cooking, skiing, and spends an inordinate amount of time tending to his ever-growing herd of guitars and amplifiers.
SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS: click on their logos to visit their website
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.